Head of "Health and Care" Programme,
European Centre for Social Welfare Policy and Research
(2 – 3 year contract, renewable, with career and tenure track)
Location: Vienna, Austria (www.euro.centre.org)
Closing date: Friday, 20 May 2011
Expected starting date: 1 September 2011
The European Centre for Social Welfare Policy and Research, an UN-affiliated intergovernmental organisation in Vienna, has a vacancy for the Head of its "Health and Care" programme. We are looking for an experienced researcher to work on a broad range of issues of health economics and health care policy in an international comparative perspective, including effectiveness and efficiency of health care services, cross-border health care issues in the European Union, and health care performance measurement.
- International comparative research in efficiency and effectiveness of health and/or long-term care provision for ageing societies;
- Analysis of policy trends in health and/or long-term care in the context of wider economic and social trends and in the context of European Union policies;
- Development of internationally comparable information on long-term care systems and policy trends; including care indicator sets;
- Contribute to the development of a generic framework for patient-oriented health information systems in Europe, with a focus on chronic diseases;
- Contribute to the research on a broad range of cross-border issues of health care provision in the European Union;
- Provide scientific leadership and managerial oversight to the work of a team of researchers;
- Initiate fundraising activities and contribute to the design of research proposals;
- Management of and communication with international networks of researchers and teams of experts in countries of the UN-ECE region;
- Organise meetings and disseminate findings in publications, through presentations at international events and other channels.
Qualification and experience:
- PhD or Master's degree in health economics, sociology, social policy or related social sciences;
- At least five to seven years of applied research in relevant fields,
- Track record of publications on health and/or long-term care policy for ageing populations, including in a cross-country perspective;
- Experience with international comparative research, such as on European Union level;
- Experience with project management and of working and negotiating with national and international administrations;
- Ability to promote team spirit and to facilitate the professional development of staff from various academic background;
- Good knowledge of national and international data sources and of the organisation of health care, social care and other social statistics;
- Proven experience to draft reports that address policy makers and stakeholders;
- Very good command of the English language. Working knowledge of other European languages would be an asset;
- Very good computer literacy and experience with organising and analysing data.
The European Centre offers inter-disciplinary co-operation, independence and autonomy at work, and flexible working hours. The European Centre is an equal opportunity employer.
For further information on this vacancy, please call : Tel. (+ 43 1) 319 45 05 90 or send e-mail to : email@example.com
Please send your CV and application per e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The European Centre for Social Welfare Policy and Research
Berggasse 17, 1090, Wien